While winter may be a few months away, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prepare your heating system to ensure it works correctly. The worst thing that can happen to your home is a lack of a heating during winter time. Not only is it dangerous, but it also creates a very uncomfortable atmosphere and no one wants to deal with that in their home. After all, a heated home is a comfortable one during the cold winter months in Naperville.
In today’s blog, we’ll detail the steps you should follow to ensure your heating system is ready for winter. Even though the weather hasn’t turned too chilly, it’s never too early to be prepared. If you notice there’s something wrong with your heating system, then contact our HVAC contractors today.
Follow These Steps To Have A Working Heating System This Winter
To help you prepare your home accordingly for cold weather, we detailed the steps you should follow. It’s important to note that it’s never too early to prepare your home for winter or summer. We actually encourage you to do this now while it’s hot because you won’t be caught off guard if something isn’t working properly when it’s the middle of winter. There’s nothing worse than having a broken air conditioner unit in the middle of summer or a dead heater in the middle of February. To ensure you don’t get stuck with needing a replacement for your heating system, follow these steps:
- Schedule A Cleaning: Make sure that you schedule your furnace maintenance as early as possible. Since winter is such a busy time, it’s better to hire a service to clean your system as early as possible to save money and time.
- Change The Furnace Filter: Make sure that you check your furnace filter before the winter. You don’t want to turn on your furnace only to find that something is wrong with it when you need it the most. We recommend that you change the filter before the winter even begins.
- Switch The Furnace From Cold To Hot: To test the furnace, we recommend that you switch it from cold to hot. This can help with troubleshooting and ensure that everything is working properly.
- Make Sure The System Is Free Of Debris: By checking the burners to ensure they are dust- and debris-free, you’ll eliminate dealing with a broken heater. Doing this before you need to turn on your heater will help you identify any signs of rust or damage before it’s too late.
- Check The Thermostat: The next step to follow is to check that the thermostat is working properly. An efficient furnace system needs a thermostat that’s working properly and effectively. A proper thermostat will begin without any problems.
- Uncover The Heating Vents: Lastly, make sure that you uncover all of the vents. Vents that are uncovered will prevent any heat from escaping from your house. Additionally, a blocked vent will cause an overheated furnace.
If you have any questions about these steps or preparing your heating system, then feel free to ask! We’re here to ensure your home is comfortable all year round.